The BTU in Numbers
Brandenburg University of Technology
Founded in 1991, it is Brandenburg’s only technical university.
More than 6,972 students, including 1.234 international students from approx 93 countries: the largest contingents are from China, Cameroon, Poland, Bulgaria, India, Ukraine, and Ghana.
The BTU Cottbus in Numbers
- 119 Professors
- 592 scientific staff
- University Budget 2012: 49,8 million €
- External Funding 2012: 26,2 million €
Faculty 1 - Natural Sciences, Mathematics and Computer Science
Faculty 2 - Architecture, Civil Engineering and Urban Planning
Faculty 3 - Mechanical, Electrical and Industrial Engineering
Faculty 4 - Environmental Sciences and Process Engineering
Vision and Mission Statement
BTU stands for Building – Technology – Environment (Umwelt) “Engineering Solutions for a Sustainable Future” “
The BTU Cottbus is a centre for ambitious research and cutting-edge, research-based academics. Based on a strong unified approach to research, teaching and technology transfer, the BTU adheres to the following guiding principles:
- The BTU is a small, internationally recognised technical university dedicated to teaching and research. We provide sustainable educational services, by imparting interdisciplinary competencies, that go well beyond engineering and scientific knowledge and skills.
- Our university conducts its academic and research endeavours at the highest international levels. With its proven excellence in academics and research in a ‘real-life laboratory’ setting, we combine a decidedly international orientation with a strong regional accent. On the one hand, we maintain close ties with industry and potential employers, on the other we wholeheartedly support the principle of “value creation through learning”. Moreover, we apply forward-looking strategies that serve to maximise our academics and research endeavours. This is reflected in how we consistently encourage practical learning experience through project-based degree programmes.
- Our goal is to become a European leader in executive post graduate programmes by promoting Lifelong Learning in the core subject areas (“niches of excellence“) that are particularly strong due to our locational advantage.
- The BTU offers students an excellent learning environment and favourable teacher-student ratio. This will help us to lower drop-out rates in the future and will ensure outstanding career prospects for our graduates.
- Our geographical proximity to Eastern Europe makes us a gateway between cultures and peoples, as illustrated in the countries of origin of our students and the university exchange programs and career opportunities that we propose to our future graduates.
- The BTU understands the importance of the family unit for coming generations. We actively support young parents in their efforts to coordinate their university studies and careers.
- The Brandenburg University of Technology is committed to realising the principles of equal opportunity in science and society, both in terms of university policy and the practical application of these principles.
- We offer promising young scientists the opportunity to quickly achieve personal independence in their research and academic pursuits.
Research Focus Areas
- Information and Communication Engineering
Central Scientific Facilities