Guiding Principles of the IKMZ of the BTU Cottbus
The ICMC/IKMZ is a central facility of the BTU Cottbus; it belongs to the university’s information, communication and media services unit which are under joint supervision. The ICMC’s mission is to supply efficient and user-friendly services in the areas of research, teaching, academics and administration These include:
- Library Services (Library)
- Computers and System Services and Networking and Security Engineering (Computer center)
- Application and Support of Multimedia Teaching and Learning Models (Center for blended learning and multimedia)
- Operations Data Processing (Department for administrative data processing)
The ICMC/IKMZ also serves to coordinate these services for the university as a whole.
What we offer
The IKMZ provides finely tuned services for researchers, teachers and students of the BTU Cottbus, as well as all staff members and administrators in the university’s various centres; these services include:
- secure and reliable access to fixed line and wireless networks, network extension,
- providing central IT-based services (archiving, back-up, file services, authentication and authorisation services, mail and WEB services, and coordinating university WEB offerings etc.), as well as scientific computing,
- provisioning and collating literature and information resources in digital and printed form, lending, information brokering, onsite reading facilities,
- administering and maintaining central software applications (library, university administration, e-Learning systems), and the central distribution of software and developing of WEB applications,
- processing and compiling digital media and provisioning requisite technical infrastructures (video, DVD, audio, animation, imaging, printing, plotting etc)
- providing consulting, training and support in all our offered services ,
- provisioning work stations and reading areas, as well as conducting and organising events in the new IKMZ building.
Services offered in the IKMZ building are also available to user groups from our city and region
The IKMZ was established to achieve the following goals:
- implement flexible organisational structures with a broad spectrum of customer and service-oriented offers,
- integrate the tasks and functional areas of information, communication and media services,
- promote innovation and ongoing development.
Armed with innovative technologies, we are continually striving to optimise our services and to promote ongoing development, which we implement with our project-based, interdisciplinary teams. In addition to providing business resources, we are wholly committed to our role as service-providers. Our staff is both amply qualified and motivated to reach our stated goals. The entire staff understands that it must maintain the very highest levels of quality in terms of the services we provide.
As an integrated university facility, we are equipped to face the challenges posed by new media and new technologies in an interdisciplinary and demand-oriented fashion. We go about our tasks in a spirit of openness and fairness. We consider our customers and users as partners, and in doing so we strive to:
- ensure result-oriented and service-conscious communication both internally and externally,
- remain firmly anchored in the university’s overall strategy,
- provide a one-stop source for information, communication and media service needs.
The overriding goal is not only to provide a transparent multimedia and information environment to researchers, teachers and students of the BTU, but also to the people of our city and region as well.