Profile of the Traffic Engineering Institute
The Institute of Traffic Engineering was established in 1999; it is firmly anchored in the areas of research profile Lightweight Construction and Functional Materials, Automotive and Drive Engineering, as well as Modelling and Simulation. Within these disciplines, a number of application-oriented problems and topics are examined that involve a high degree of basic research, although both areas are often closely interlinked.
We focus here on the fields of:
• Vibrations and Acoustics
• Multibody and Structural Mechanics
• Modelling, Simulation Applications
• Aerodynamics, Fluid Mechanics
• Thermodynamics and Combustion
The Institute’s excellent infrastructures consisting of modern research facilities and high-performance hard/software capabilities afford a strong framework for conducting theoretical and numerical experiments.
The Institute collaborates with numerous universities and non-university research facilities, as well as with partners in industry, especially in (aeronautical) power engine technology and the automobile industries.
In terms of basic education courses, the Institute offers classes in engineering mechanics, structural mechanics, fluid mechanics and thermodynamics.
Visiting lecturers (DLR, Rolls-Royce, MTU, IAV GmbH) serve to closely interlink ongoing research activities with the university’s academic course offerings, especially in advanced research (traffic engineering, automotive and drive Engineering) and with a particular emphasis on contemporary practical applications. Moreover, during their studies students can make a number of helpful extramural contacts through internships or in the context of authoring papers for their Bachelor’s, German Diplom or Master’s theses; these contacts are very useful in terms of future employment opportunities.
Detailed information regarding our research activities and facilities can be found on the pertinent Chair website.
Chairs - Traffic Engineering Institute
- Chair of Combustion Engines and Flight Propulsion (Professor Dr.-Ing. H. P. Berg)
- Chair of Engineering Mechanics and Vehicle Dynamics (Professor Dr.-Ing. habil. D. Bestle)
- Chair of Automotive Technologies and Drives (Professor Dr.-Ing. P. Steinberg)
- Chair of Structural Mechanics and Vehicle Vibrational Technology (Professor Dr.-Ing. A. Kühhorn)
- Chair of Aerodynamics and Fluid Mechanics (Professor Dr.-Ing. C. Egbers)
- Chair of Aeroengine Design (Professor Dr.-Ing. K. Höschler)
- Chair of Technical Acoustic (Professor Dr.-Ing. E. Sarradj)
- Assistant Professor flow modeling (Professor Dr.-Ing. H. Schmidt)
- Honorary Chair Fluidacoustik (Professor Dr.-Ing. U. Michel)
- Honorary Chair Enginedynamics (Professor Dr.-Ing. R. Fiola)