Middle East Cooperation Unit
Along with the set-up of the Cooperation-Network for Urban Design and Development, a Cooperation Unit (MEC – Middle East Cooperation Unit for Urban Design and Development) was launched gradually at the Faculty of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Urban Planning. The Coordination Unit is managed by Prof Em Inken Baller, Prof Heinz Nagler, the Coordinator Christoph Wessling and Juliane Jäger (since 10/2011).
Main tasks of the Cooperation Unit are:
- Management of Cooperation Projects with the Partner-Universities in the Middle East
- Support of Guest-Students from the Partner-Regions
- Involving PhD-Students and mentoring PhD-Candidates from the Middle East
- Exchange and collaboration with further Departments of the Faculty that also have projects in the Middle East, especially from the Institute for Building History and History of Art. Furthermore with other German Cooperation-Partners at the TU Berlin (WANACU – Prof Rudolf Schäfer) and at the TU Dortmund (Planning Network Middle East – Prof Christa Reicher)
- Further organization and research activities as well as the supervision of research publications and meeting-documentaries
- Realisation of courses touching the focal points at the BTU as well as various guest lectures.
The Cooperation Unit was founded by the Prof Heinz Nagler, the head of the Department of Urban Development and Design. Therefore, the main focus is on Urban Design and Urban Development in historic City Districts of Cities in the Middle East. When Juliane Jäger (DAAD-Returnee-Stipendiary and Architect) joined the Cooperation Unit in 2011, a focus on Building in Existing Fabric was added.